A couple of weeks ago I posted a recipe for Butternut Squash Soup, but I’ve found an even better, more savory one! I wasn’t happy with the appearance and the texture of the last one; it was dark in color and had the consistency of apple sauce. So, I decided to take another shot at butternut squash soup: I ordered an “emersion blender” on Amazon…UHHHmazing…plus I had some coconut milk I needed to use, AND I found a new recipe that sounded delicious! It came out PERFECT! I hope you enjoy it just as much as we did (:
Here is the recipe I used, reposted from “Making Thyme for Health” http://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/2013/11/19/butternut-squash-and-sweet-potato-soup-vegan/
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 5 cups) (save yourself some time: buy the precut package from Costco)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped, (about 3/4 cup)
1 small yellow onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth (I used low sodium chicken broth)
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk ( used low fat- still delicious)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon curry powder (I didn’t have any…just left it out)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Start by warming the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and the carrot for about three to five minutes.
- Next, add the squash and sweet potato to the pot and pour in the vegetable broth.
- Then add the spices and salt and bring to a boil. Once it has started to boil, reduce to a simmer and cover while allowing it to cook for about twenty minutes or until all of the veggies are very tender.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the vegetables until a thick, smooth consistency is reached.
- Pour in the coconut milk and continue to blend until it is mixed thoroughly. Serve warm with fresh bread and enjoy! (I garnished with parsley and made my own crutons with two slices of whole wheat bread, toasted)